Asking a Question

The following services answer questions by phone, internet chat or e-mail. Some provide general information while others are limited to specific topics.

CPLEA Suggested Resources

Not sure where to begin finding answers to your questions. Get started with our suggested resources. See additional resources below for more information.

Alberta Resources

211 is an easy to remember three-digit telephone number that connects callers to a full range of social, health, government and community services (including some legal services). In Alberta, the 211 service is currently (Nov. 2010) being delivered to residents of Calgary, Chestermere, Cochrane, Edmonton, Parkland County, Leduc and Strathcona County.

Related legal topic(s): Legal services

311 Call Centres

Non-emergency 311 call systems, used increasingly in Alberta cities, offer a number of advantages. They give citizens a quick, convenient way to report about problems in their neighborhoods, and get a response. Assistance with civic information and services. Services offered:

  • telephone assistance on civic information and services
  • online system to request a City service
  • information including but not restricted to Animal Services, General Bylaw Services, Fire Prevention Bureau, Parks, Recreation Programs and Facilities, Waste and Recycling Services, Waterworks and Waste Water
Related legal topic(s): Municipal information and bylaws

The Research Centre undertakes research on contemporary civil liberties and human rights issues that are of concern to Albertans.The Centre responds to members of the public who call with questions about civil liberties and human rights.  They receive hundreds of calls every year, and provide information or refer callers to other resources.

Related legal topic(s): Charter of Rights, Civil liberties, Human rights

Court and Justice Services (CJS) provides administrative support to all the courts within the province, including electronic legal information services through Alberta Law Libraries.

CJS offer: legal information services for the public on court procedures and legal services options; assistance with locating and filling out court forms; referrals to other community legal services, as well as dispute resolution services for child support, family and child medication, conflict intervention, family mediation, and civil mediation. 

Related legal topic(s): Civil actions, Legal process, Legal services, Mediation and alternative dispute resolution, Self-representation, Small claims court

The Alberta Seniors and Community Supports department provides information about financial, health-related, and protective services for seniors. This webpage lists the contact information for regional offices. Or call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre Toll-free in Alberta: 1-877-644-9992, Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Related legal topic(s): Elder abuse, Health issues, Supportive living and seniors’ housing

Alberta Works helps unemployed people find and keep jobs, employers meet their need for skilled workers,  Albertans with low incomes cover their basic costs of living. They offer services in different ways through: Employment Services, Employment and Career Resources,Training Supports, Alberta Job & Career Fairs.,  Workforce Partnerships, Income Support, and Health Benefits. See also: Information on the Alberta Supports Contact Centres.

Related legal topic(s): Disabilities, Health issues

This webpage describes the types of information that can be provided and offers a web form for submitting a question.

Related legal topic(s): Law libraries

This webpage provides an instant messaging (chat) window and link to submit a question by e-mail; or you can call 403-220-8895. Reference service is available to the University of Calgary community, to visitors to the University community, and to the Southern Alberta community at large.

Related legal topic(s): Law libraries

This webpage provides links to ask a question by chat service or e-mail or you can call 780-492-4174.

Related legal topic(s): Law libraries

Get support, information or referrals. The Bullying Helpline is available 24 hours a day. Talk anonymously with trained staff/counsellors. 

Call or text 310-1818; online chat

Related legal topic(s): Bullying

The Calgary Chinese Community Service Association is an ethnocultural community service agency. CCSA offers four core programs: Children and Youth, Integration and Civic Engagement (ICE), Health Program, and Legal Program. Their Law and Advocacy Program is funded by the Alberta Law Foundation and provides a range of services including: basic legal information and referrals, Commissioner for Oaths and Notary, a free legal outreach clinic.  and free Wills & Estates Document Drafting Services (CCCSA provides free drafting services for Personal Directives, Enduring Powers of Attorney, and Wills for low-income seniors (ages 65+). Asset screening will be conducted for eligibility. and will and estate documents drafting services.)

Related legal topic(s): Advocacy, Citizenship and nationality, Legal services, Multiculturalism, Wills and estates

The Central Alberta Women's Outreach Society provides basic needs and emotional support for individuals as well as providing education and support in specific areas such as domestic violence, family law, and the effects of crisis on families. The Society offers a legal information and referrals program. This program provides legal information and referrals to individuals as they navigate through the legal and judicial system.  Their staff will assist clients to identify legal issues and prioritize legal needs.   

Related legal topic(s): Family violence general resources

The Distress Centre offers a main crisis and addictions line as well as specialty phone lines providing crisis intervention and information and referral services 24/7, 365 days a year. Short-term crisis counseling is also available in person. 24 hour Crisis Line 403-266-4357.

Related legal topic(s): Bullying, Child abuse, Relationship violence, Sexual assault, Spousal abuse

For information about Alberta Employment Standards call the province-wide toll-free line 1-877-427-3731 or in the Edmonton calling area dial 780-427-3731. The web page provides a form to submit a question or concern online.

Related legal topic(s): Workers' rights and employment standards

This service is offered by the Government of Alberta, Family Violence Prevention Unit. Trained staff can help get you to safety and give you information on supports and financial aid. 

If you think someone you know is experiencing family violence, reach out by calling or texting the Family Violence Info Line at 310-1818, toll-free 24/7, or using the confidential online chat. Phone services are available in more than 170 languages.

Related legal topic(s): Child abuse, Family violence general resources, Protective orders, Relationship violence, Victim support and victim rights

The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) provides decision-making mechanisms for individuals who are unable to make personal, non-financial decisions for themselves. The OPG does this through the Personal Directives Act, the Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act and the Mental Health Act. The OPG also administers the Personal Directives Registry and the Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Registry.
Related legal topic(s): Guardianship and trusteeship

The Support Network is located in Edmonton, Alberta, and provides community information services, crisis intervention, and suicide prevention. Its help lines are free, anonymous, confidential, and available every hour, every day. Help is also available in person and online. 24-Hour Distress Line: 780-482-HELP(4357)

Related legal topic(s): Bullying, Child abuse, Elder abuse, Health issues, Relationship violence, Sexual assault, Spousal abuse

The WRC helps Alberta workers through advocacy, a Casework Program, and Public Legal Education. If you need help with an employment issue, the WRC is ready to help.
Related legal topic(s): Advocacy, Public legal education organizations, Workers' rights and employment standards


Service Canada offers single-window access to a wide range of Government of Canada programs and services. For general enquiries call toll-free 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232), Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., your local time. In addition, this web page provides contact information for a variety of specific programs and services.

Related legal topic(s): Federal government departments

They're Canada's only toll-free, 24-hour, bilingual and anonymous phone counselling, referral and Internet service for children and youth. The service is completely anonymous and confidential - they don't trace calls, they don't use call display. You don't even have to tell them your name if you don't want to. (1-800-668-6868)

Related legal topic(s): Bullying, Child abuse, Gangs, Harassment, Relationship violence, School safety, Victim support and victim rights, Youth criminal justice